WASHINGTON (November 2, 2016)—MoveOn.org Political Action and the Humane Society Legislative Fund have teamed up to launch a new online ad highlighting Hillary Clinton’s strong record of animal protection and her expansive pro-animal campaign platform.
The ad was developed after MoveOn members said protecting animals is a key issue for them, and the Humane Society Legislative Fund announced its endorsement for Hillary Clinton. MoveOn.org represents millions of progressive members nationwide, and HSLF is a nonpartisan political advocacy organization that makes endorsements based on a candidate’s support for animal protection policies.
During her eight years in the U.S. Senate, Hillary Clinton was a consistent supporter of animal protection policies, earning a 100 percent score in HSLF’s Humane Scorecard for the 108th Congress, a perfect 100 score in the 109th and an 83 in the 110th.
You can watch the ad here.
During her time in Congress, Clinton:
- Led efforts to stop the overuse of antibiotics in farm animals, which allow them to be crammed into overcrowded, stressful and unsanitary factory farms;
- Cosponsored legislation to prohibit the transport and receipt of horses to be slaughtered for human consumption;
- Cosponsored the Animal Fighting Prohibition Enforcement Act (S. 261) to prohibit the interstate transfer of animals for animal fighting;
- Cosponsored the Downed Animal Protection Act (S. 1779) to stop the processing of “downer” livestock;
- Cosponsored the Puppy Protection Act (S. 1478) to crack down on abusive “puppy mills” where dogs are treated like production machines;
- Signed letters requesting funds for the U.S. Department of Agriculture to step up enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act, the Humane Methods of Slaughter Act and the federal animal fighting law.
As Secretary of State, Clinton led international efforts to crack down on wildlife trafficking, and through her work at the Clinton Foundation, she helped launch a major campaign to fight the illegal ivory trade and poaching of elephants.
Read more about HSLF’s broad slate of candidate endorsements here.
MoveOn.org Political Action is a community of millions of Americans from all walks of life who are using innovative technology to lift up their voices in our democracy and build progressive power in campaigns for progressive change and in elections.
The Humane Society Legislative Fund is a social welfare organization incorporated under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code and formed in 2004 as a separate lobbying affiliate of The Humane Society of the United States. The HSLF works to pass animal protection laws at the state and federal level, to educate the public about animal protection issues, and to support humane candidates for office. Visit us on all our channels: on the web at hslf.org, on our blog at animalsandpolitics.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/humanelegislation and on Twitter at twitter.com/HSLegFund.