WASHINGTON (March 11, 2014) -- The Humane Society Legislative Fund, the nation’s leading political advocacy organization for animal welfare, announces its endorsement of California State Rep. Tony Strickland, R-CA., for the open House seat in California’s 25th District. Citing his strong support of animal protection policies, the Humane Society Legislative Fund urges California voters to support Tony Strickland.
“Tony Strickland, as a member of the California State Senate, was a major supporter of state laws that benefitted the lives of animals, ranging anywhere from cockfighting to companion animals,” said Michael Markarian, President of the Humane Society Legislative Fund. “A vote for Strickland as a member of Congress is a vote for the humane treatment of animals.”
Among his efforts, Strickland has:
- Co-authored legislation to crack down on animal fighting (SB 425). The bill was signed into law.
- Co-authored legislation to ban the sale of animals in parking lots and along roadsides. It also increases fines and possible jail time for those convicted of felony animal neglect (SB 917). The bill was signed into law.
- Co-authored legislation to prohibit criminals convicted of animal cruelty from owning animals for a specific period of time after their conviction (AB 1117). The bill was signed into law.
- Spoke out on the floor, led his caucus and voted for legislation prohibiting the sale of shark fins, to reduce the demand for finning millions of sharks and leaving them to suffer and die at sea (AB 376). The bill was signed into law.
- Supported efforts to promote the adoption of dogs and cats from shelters, including hosting events and participating in public service announcements supporting pet adoptions.
Media contact: Heather Sullivan, (240) 477-2251, firstname.lastname@example.org
HSLF is a nonpartisan organization that evaluates candidates based only on a single criterion: where they stand on animal welfare. HSLF does not judge candidates based on party affiliation or any other issue.
The Humane Society Legislative Fund is a social welfare organization incorporated under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code and formed in 2004 as a separate lobbying affiliate of The Humane Society of the United States. The HSLF works to pass animal protection laws at the state and federal level, to educate the public about animal protection issues, and to support humane candidates for office. Visit us on all our channels: on the web at hslf.org, on our blog at animalsandpolitics.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/humanelegislation and on Twitter at twitter.com/HSLegFund.
Paid for by Humane Society Legislative Fund and not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee. HSLF, 1255 23rd Street, NW, Suite 455, Washington, DC 20037.