WASHINGTON (Aug. 17, 2012) -- The Humane Society Legislative Fund, the nation’s leading political advocacy organization for animal welfare, announced its endorsement of Kyrsten Sinema in the Democratic primary for Arizona’s new 9th Congressional District. Citing her strong leadership and support of animal protection policies, the Humane Society Legislative Fund urges primary voters to support Sinema.
“Kyrsten Sinema has a strong record of leadership on animal protection issues and has stood up for the values of kindness and compassion,” said Sara Amundson, executive director of the Humane Society Legislative Fund. “We encourage primary voters who care about the humane treatment of animals to support Kyrsten Sinema.”
Sinema has been a strong supporter of animal protection in the Arizona state legislature. Among her efforts, she was the:
- Prime sponsor of HB 2264, to protect the Arizona bald eagle under the Endangered Species Act
- Prime sponsor of HB 2375, prohibiting importing or transporting, commerce or possession of live wildlife in the state, except as authorized by the Arizona Game and Fish Commission
- Prime sponsor of HB 2150, to strengthen the state’s animal fighting law and ban the practice of hog-dog fights
- Prime sponsor of HB 2282, banning horse tripping, and requiring the Arizona Department of Agriculture to establish a registry of equine rescue facilities
- Prime sponsor of HB 2448, to increase the penalties for harming law enforcement animals
- Prime sponsor of HB 2516, promoting spaying and neutering to reduce the overpopulation and euthanasia of pets
- Prime sponsor of HB 2536, prohibiting the extreme confinement of egg-laying hens in small battery cages where the animals can barely move an inch for their entire lives
- Prime sponsor of HB 2537, prohibiting the testing of products on animals if scientifically validated alternatives are available
- Prime sponsor of HB 2779, to require microchipping of dogs before a kennel license is issued
Media contact: Heather Sullivan, (240) 477-2251, firstname.lastname@example.org
HSLF is a nonpartisan organization that evaluates candidates based only on a single criterion: where they stand on animal welfare. HSLF does not judge candidates based on party affiliation or any other issue.
The Humane Society Legislative Fund is a social welfare organization incorporated under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code and formed in 2004 as a separate lobbying affiliate of The Humane Society of the United States. The HSLF works to pass animal protection laws at the state and federal level, to educate the public about animal protection issues, and to support humane candidates for office. Visit us on all our channels: on the web at hslf.org, on our blog at animalsandpolitics.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/humanelegislation and on Twitter at twitter.com/HSLegFund.
Paid for by Humane Society Legislative Fund and not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee. HSLF, 2100 L Street NW, Suite 310, Washington, D.C., 20037.