WASHINGTON (Oct. 19, 2012) -- The Humane Society Legislative Fund, the nation’s leading political advocacy organization for animal welfare, announces its endorsement of U.S. Rep. Pat Meehan, R-Pa., for re-election in the 7th Congressional District of Pennsylvania. Citing his strong support of animal protection policies, the Humane Society Legislative Fund urges 7th District voters to support Meehan.
“Pat Meehan has demonstrated a strong commitment to protecting animals from cruelty and abuse,” said Michael Markarian, president of the Humane Society Legislative Fund. “He is standing up for the values of kindness and compassion, and we urge voters who care about the humane treatment of animals to support Pat Meehan.”
Meehan has supported a number of federal policies to stop animal cruelty and abuse. Among his efforts, Meehan has:
- Co-sponsored the Animal Fighting Spectator Prohibition Act, H.R. 2492, to close a loophole in the federal animal fighting law by making it a crime to attend or bring a child to a dogfight or cockfight
- Co-sponsored the Puppy Uniform Protection and Safety (PUPS) Act, H.R. 835, to protect dogs and crack down on large-scale puppy mill abuses
- Co-sponsored the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, H.R. 2966, to prohibit the long-distance transport (including export) of American horses for slaughter for human consumption in other countries where horse meat is considered a delicacy
- Co-sponsored the Interstate Horseracing Improvement Act, H.R. 1733, to prohibit the use of performance-enhancing drugs in the horseracing industry
- Voted to save millions of taxpayer dollars by reducing the use of toxic poisons, steel-jawed leghold traps, aerial gunning, and other inhumane methods of killing predators as a subsidy for private livestock ranchers (H.AMDT.471/H.R.2112)
- Opposed a devastating “extinction rider” that would have weakened the Endangered Species Act by preventing the listing of imperiled species and designation of critical habitat (H.R.2584)
Media contact: Heather Sullivan, (240) 477-2251, firstname.lastname@example.org
HSLF is a nonpartisan organization that evaluates candidates based only on a single criterion: where they stand on animal welfare. HSLF does not judge candidates based on party affiliation or any other issue.
The Humane Society Legislative Fund is a social welfare organization incorporated under section 501(c)(4) of the Internal Revenue Code and formed in 2004 as a separate lobbying affiliate of The Humane Society of the United States. The HSLF works to pass animal protection laws at the state and federal level, to educate the public about animal protection issues, and to support humane candidates for office. Visit us on all our channels: on the web at hslf.org, on our blog at animalsandpolitics.com, on Facebook at facebook.com/humanelegislation and on Twitter at twitter.com/HSLegFund.
Paid for by Humane Society Legislative Fund and not authorized by any candidate or candidate’s committee. HSLF, 2100 L Street NW, Suite 310, Washington, D.C., 20037.